I Have Insurance

Health insurance may pay for mental health care not covered by your student fees, such as long-term counseling, medication, emergency room visits, hospitalizations, or other services.  

Insurance policies vary in the amount and type of mental health care they will pay for, so it is important to become familiar with your insurance plan, and be prepared to ask questions. Also, have your insurance information available by making a copy of the front and back of your insurance and prescription plan cards.

Before coming to campus, call the number on your insurance card to find out:

  • If your insurance policy pays for mental health services in Ann Arbor, MI. This is especially important for students coming from outside the state of Michigan, since many insurance policies only cover treatment received within a specific geographic area.
  • Which mental health services are paid for by your insurance policy (for example, office visits, medication, inpatient treatment)
  • If you can see the provider of your choice or if there is a “preferred list of providers” that you must choose from, and what happens if you want to see someone who is not on that list
  • If there is a yearly limit on the number of counseling visits covered. Insurance plans often limit how many counseling or psychotherapy sessions they will cover in a given year. Once you exceed this limit, you are responsible for paying for the full cost of additional sessions.
  • If your plan excludes certain diagnoses or pre-existing conditions

When deciding to seek care, call the number on your insurance card to find out:

  • If your provider will pay for the services. If so, will they pay the entire cost? Some costs that you may be responsible for include:
    • Costs for services not covered by your insurance plan. 
    • Co-pays.  Most insurance companies require you to pay a small amount of the total charge (called a co-pay) each time services are accessed.  Many offices expect payment at the time of service.  
    • Deductibles. Your plan may require that you pay a set amount towards your care (called a deductable) before your insurer will cover any expenses. Find out whether your insurance plan includes a deductible and the amount of the deductible.
    • The amount of your insurance plan’s usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) coverage.  Often insurers will reimburse charges at a given percent based upon the amount typically charged by health care providers for similar services in that geographic area.  You can ask if a specific provider fee meets the UCR criteria (for example, “My psychiatrist fee for medication management is billed at $125. Is this within the UCR coverage?”).
  • If you need any approvals (such as a referral from your primary care provider, pre-certification or prior authorization) before the services are provided. Referrals are often necessary if you want to see a specialist (someone other than your primary care physician). If you need approvals, contact the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office for help.

When calling for an appointment, ask the facility where you will receive care:

  • Whether they accept your insurance and whether they will bill your insurance company
  • How they bill for treatment. Even if you have insurance, you may be required to pay the entire bill and then be reimbursed by your insurance company


Next > I Don’t Have Insurance

UM Depression Center© Copyright 2003-2016 Regents of the University of Michigan

The University of Michigan Health System web site does not provide specific medical advice and does not endorse any medical or professional service obtained through information provided on this site or any links to this site. Complete disclaimer and Privacy Statement.